Friday, May 29, 2015

Let Freedom Ring Fatbook Tile with Rebecca Baer®


Good Morning! Today I've created a fatbook page using Rebecca Baer™ Stencils. Fatbook pages are similar to ATCs in that they are little works of art that are traded among friends--they are 4×4" in size and sometimes they are bound into a book.

For this project I used the small Stars & Stripes stencil and the Seafarer Painted Digital Paper from her Rebecca's digital line. To begin I printed the darkest papers along with another print that I thought I would *play* with in the size that I was going to need 4×4" I did this by "formatting" my image to that size in my Publisher program. I could print out 4 squares easily on my standard  card stock. I used a color laser printer for my project so the ink does not become a muddy mess with the mixed media play, if you do not have a personal color laser printer, you can have your documents printed at an office supply store for a small fee.

Stars & Stripes Stencil - Product ImagePainted Digital Papers | Seafarer - Product Image



I trimmed out my papers to 4×4" and began with my stencil. Using the mini masking tapes I help my stencil into place while I added a thick pigment ink to the stencil to hold my copper embossing powder. While I used a brown ink, the color really will not matter as the embossing powder covered opaquely and none of the color showed through. I heat set the embossing powder.

RB Mini Masking Tape for Artists and Quilters - Product Image

Next I began layering on red paint around the edges. Using a wide brush in the RB Classique(TM) Angles set, I pulled my brush in towards the center of the fatbook tile. I used a wet wipe to remove some of the paint, especially on the embossed edges to give it a "antiqued" look. 
RB Classique(TM) Angles - Product Image

Next I took out my black detail pens and pastel pencils and went around the stars and curves of the stencil with white and black. I doodled around the edge of the tile and added white paint pen dots to the curves. 



I then replaced the stencil over the top of the tile and using my white paint pen went over the "strips" where the melted emboss powder was. I wiped away paint with my wet wipe again, leaving some of the lines and smearing the rest.  

To adhere the torn denim to the side I placed down a strip of double stick tape on the tile and then also on the back of my strip of denim. I was able to pleat the denim and have it hold in place. I added a little burlap bow and some bling to the tile to complete the embellishments.


I completed my tile by handwriting lyrics from patriotic songs and phrases of freedom and liberty that hold meaning with me along the stripes. 


I hope you enjoyed my little piece of art today! All supplies mentioned are available In Rebecca Baer's® store at the link below! Thank you for stopping by! Be sure to check out posts from my teammates each Tuesday and Thursday!



Twitter at @leslierahye | Facebook at leslierahye.| YouTube at leslierahye | Pinterest at leslierahye | Instagram at leslierahye

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thank you for making my day!