Monday, January 16, 2012

The House Rules with Amazing Mold Products

Happy New Year! Yes, the new year began over 2 weeks ago but this is my first post of 2012 and that sentiment is pertinent to today's post! I have been admiring co-crafters' work lately and have found that several have created these signs for decor in their homes...a words to live by kind of thing. I think they're terrific and I have been mulling over in my mind for a while how I planned to do this! When I saw Nikki's digi on the MelonHeadzIllustration Blog. I knew I wanted to incorporate that some way into my sign. It was not until I found this broken piece of pottery from my friends' house that the entire project developed in my, for the New Year, I bring you 
The House Rules--A Wall Hanging
This Wall Hanging was built on a 12"×12" black foam core base.

I began by making my mold of the decoration on the pottery shard
The mold came out a bit dirty so I molded a very thin piece to
throw away to pick up all the dirt from the casting.
I then added Alumilite Metallic Powder in Bronze
to the mold and poured Amazing Casting Resin --white--
into the mold. Rather than pour the mold quickly, I
took my time so that I could control the flow and not
over-flow the bounds of my mold too quickly.
This is a gratuitous photo of the resin quickening--it always
amazes me how cool it looks when it does this!
I left the resin in the mold until it easily pulled away from the
mold, about 30 minutes. I pulled it off to this dullish bronze cast.
I dry-brushed over the cured cast with more bronze powder
and then highlighted it with Terri Sproul's Mixers in Red Satin.
Those colors together match the painting I do in a later step.
I also molded for this project a piece of crochet that I had done,
and cast it with the  Creative Paperclay® product DelightTM  . The
Delight casting was then brushed with Sakura Hobby Crafts
3D Crystal Lacquer mixed with the Alumilite Bronze Powder.
The flower was then dusted with some Terri Sproul's Mixers in
Red Satin to match the project.
The MelonHeadzIllustration Digital Stamp was enlarged
to 8"×7½" and printed on a piece of Basic Grey Card Stock.
It was then edged with Black ink and painted in using
Sakura 3D Crystal Lacquer, Bronze Powder from Alumilite 

and Terri Sproul's Mixers & Colored Crystal Lacquer. 

The edges of the black foam core were brushed with
Sakura 3D Crystal Lacquer mixed with Alumilite Bronze
Metallic Powder
. The premade brown butterfly received the
same treatment to help him match the elements in the
project. The large casting was adhered to the foam
board with E6000--as was the lace leaves, Delight flower
and Butterfly. 
Thank you for looking! I hope you enjoyed my project!


Post a Comment

I love comments! Thank you for making my day!